mosthappyreader

More of the Most Happy Reader

History has long been my keenest interest and was a childhood fascination. I followed this interest to University where I obtained my BA and MA in History. My thesis was concentrated on British colonialism in Africa, but my first historical love was England, especially those Tudors. My life's greatest passion are my two boys. My most avid hobbies are reading and travel. My favorite reads are historical fiction and my favorite travel destination Western Europe. Because of the high volume of books I read and my passion for discussion I was encouraged by friends to begin a book review blog earlier this year and so The Most Happy Reader was born.

Becoming Josephine: A Novel

Becoming Josephine: A Novel - Heather Webb Mon Dieu, where to begin? I had no idea Rose, resurrected later by Bonaparte as Josephine, had such an interesting, turbulent, rich and yet chased seemingly by the demons of war and revolution, poverty, powerlessness and regret. Few humans can imagine such highs and such lows within one lifetime and yet still have the strength and grace to remain a lady to the very end.

Without a doubt this novel taught me so many things I did not know about Rose/Josephine and I have such a better understanding of not only the woman but the times. I have to admit that Becoming Josephine taught me much about myself, about the strength of being a survivor, about the fickle nature of not only love but also power and popularity.

I found Webb's Rose/Josephine superbly human for her gifts and her faults. I felt her prose pulled me along at times and at others slowed so that I could take in the details and appreciate the circumstances of the event that would shortly affect our Rose/Josephine, for better or for worse.

It is a wonderfully written, historically accurate portrayal of a captivating and complex woman while remaining equally, and at times more so, captivating itself.

Without a single moment's reservation I HIGHLY recommend Becoming Josephine. It is a true masterpiece.

Heather Webb, you have truly done justice to a long misrepresented and maligned woman whom I am sure raises a glass to you for your truly remarkable account of her life.