mosthappyreader

More of the Most Happy Reader

History has long been my keenest interest and was a childhood fascination. I followed this interest to University where I obtained my BA and MA in History. My thesis was concentrated on British colonialism in Africa, but my first historical love was England, especially those Tudors. My life's greatest passion are my two boys. My most avid hobbies are reading and travel. My favorite reads are historical fiction and my favorite travel destination Western Europe. Because of the high volume of books I read and my passion for discussion I was encouraged by friends to begin a book review blog earlier this year and so The Most Happy Reader was born.

Taming a Gentleman Spy (Spies of Mayfair)

Taming a Gentleman Spy - Maggi Andersen Maggi Andersen gives her readers a wonderfully charming Regency romance in her latest novel, Taming a Gentleman Spy, the latest addition to the Mayfair Spy series. Maggi Anderson is a master of portraying the complicated emotions of the Regency era and the societal confines on women. In love and life, Regency women must be innovative in order to circumvent the male domination of their lives and live the life they want and the love they deserve.

Taming a Gentleman Spy's Sibella is one such woman, swearing off marriage for independence but still bound by family and societal responsibilities. There is one man though who has captured her heart; John, Earl of Straithairn. John, a longtime family friend of Sibella's, is our Gentleman Spy, but Sibella does not find him an eager suitor. John has returned from war shunning the desire for a family after experiencing the devastation and loss of war.

There is no doubt that the chemistry between Sibella and John is electric and no doubt he completely returns her feelings, but he denies his them and does his best to dissuade her interest in him. So then, how is a gentile Regency woman go about getting the man she wants? Sibella struggles to make a marriage of love and not for duty. She is feisty and intelligent, but will this be enough?

Maggi Andersen is masterly skillful in describing emotion and in so doing takes her reader on a journey of love and life. Taming a Gentleman Spy is wonderfully integrated in the history of the Regency period, full of rich and complex characters, romance and a touch of intrigue combine to create a wonderfully engaging page turner leaving me wondering where is my gentleman spy anyway?