mosthappyreader

More of the Most Happy Reader

History has long been my keenest interest and was a childhood fascination. I followed this interest to University where I obtained my BA and MA in History. My thesis was concentrated on British colonialism in Africa, but my first historical love was England, especially those Tudors. My life's greatest passion are my two boys. My most avid hobbies are reading and travel. My favorite reads are historical fiction and my favorite travel destination Western Europe. Because of the high volume of books I read and my passion for discussion I was encouraged by friends to begin a book review blog earlier this year and so The Most Happy Reader was born.

The Promise of Provence: A Novel

The Promise of Provence: A Novel - Patricia Sands C'est magnifique!! The Promise of Provence stole my heart… Katherine was such a wonderfully human and understandable character. I related to her immediately and through her story that unfolded within the pages of The Promise of Provence I was reminded of so many important lessons learned in my own life.

As I read The Promise of Provence I was reminded of Eat, Pray, Love. Let me admit first that I have yet to read Eat, Pray, Love (though I own it and intend to do so). I have only caught the film adaptation during a transatlantic flight. That being said I am not making any comparison of the authors or the novels, but just the essence of the story… to live life as if each day is your last, to savor the present and relish the moment. I remember when I saw the film of Eat, Pray, Love it was just that which stuck with me and I appreciated the film simply as a reminder that just when you feel you have reached the end of the book of your life you realize that the best chapter has yet to be written, to live in hope. It is such an important mantra to remember and one that is so easily forgotten.

I enjoyed every page of Patricia Sands’ The Promise of Provence for its rich detail of the landscape, architecture, history and especially the food of the Provence region of France. If you have ever visited or wish to visit this magical spot Sands manages to truly capture the essence of Provence in this novel. I will warn you also that reading The Promise of Provence will make you crave brie with baguette so please do yourself a favor and have these on hand before beginning the novel. Oh, and a bottle of your favorite French wine as well certainly wouldn’t hurt!

I loved the “extra” the author included in her epilogue so make sure to read the novel to the end… I look forward to hearing from Katherine in October! I encourage you all to read The Promise of Provence for a beautiful reminder of an ancient idem:

Carpe diem, quam minimum posterior credulous!
Seize the day, trusting as little as possible in tomorrow!

À bientôt!