mosthappyreader

More of the Most Happy Reader

History has long been my keenest interest and was a childhood fascination. I followed this interest to University where I obtained my BA and MA in History. My thesis was concentrated on British colonialism in Africa, but my first historical love was England, especially those Tudors. My life's greatest passion are my two boys. My most avid hobbies are reading and travel. My favorite reads are historical fiction and my favorite travel destination Western Europe. Because of the high volume of books I read and my passion for discussion I was encouraged by friends to begin a book review blog earlier this year and so The Most Happy Reader was born.

The Young Elizabeth (Military Handbooks)

The Young Elizabeth (Military Handbooks) - Alison Plowden The first volume of Alison Plowden's “Elizabethan Quartet” focuses on the first 25 years of Elizabeth's life and successfully brings to life the young Elizabeth Tudor during the years when her life held no promises, when death seemed almost inevitable, up through her coronation. This is a non-fiction work and one I found both comprehensive and engaging. Alison Plowden has a wonderfully engaging style which in turn offers her readers a peppy read.

Plowden is careful to label any conjecture and possibilities as such and before long this reader felt comfortable trusting Plowden to uncover and reveal information without distortion, which is not an unremarkable accomplishment in itself. Plowden offers her reader a very straightforward interpretation of the historical record and successfully presents many counter arguments of long held historical assumptions convincingly.

In The Young Elizabeth, Plowden examines the forces which shaped Elizabeth’s personality during this formative period in her life. During these important years Elizabeth knew very little security and her life was marked by loss, fear and suspicion. The reader is able to see, however; how these years gave Elizabeth a more rounded world view and were the foundation of Elizabeth’s personality and a huge contributor to her success as a Monarch of moderation.