mosthappyreader

More of the Most Happy Reader

History has long been my keenest interest and was a childhood fascination. I followed this interest to University where I obtained my BA and MA in History. My thesis was concentrated on British colonialism in Africa, but my first historical love was England, especially those Tudors. My life's greatest passion are my two boys. My most avid hobbies are reading and travel. My favorite reads are historical fiction and my favorite travel destination Western Europe. Because of the high volume of books I read and my passion for discussion I was encouraged by friends to begin a book review blog earlier this year and so The Most Happy Reader was born.

A Spear of Summer Grass

A Spear of Summer Grass - Deanna Raybourn Truly a mesmerizing journey from cover to cover. A Spear of Summer Grass was more than a novel; it was a gift that touched my very soul. I had no idea when I began the adventure that Deanna Raybourn had planned so many twists and turns, half starts and reversals, but oh she did and I am the much better for it!

A Spear of Summer Grass isn’t just a novel. Rather it is an exceptionally rich interweaving of many characters and plotlines that each dare to drag you in another direction at the beginning of each chapter and just when you have your bearings the story knocks you over again. The story is so full and the narrative so rich I daresay there is something in the pages of A Spear of Summer Grass for everyone.

For this reader, this novel sings the song of a continent near and dear to my heart, Africa. I discovered African history as an undergraduate and remember leaving every lecture in awe of the rich history that had been denied to be until that point. It always seemed so tragic to me that most students wouldn’t have the chance to learn about the Africa that I was coming to know and love. Therefore, I was almost knocked off my feet when Raybourn’s novel led me back to one of my favorite regions of Africa, the Horn, to the land now known as Kenya.

Having never read a novel based in colonial Africa I was filled with eagerness with a touch of anxiety, but truly my anxiety was misplaced. Raybourn provides her reader with a true portrait of Kenya and Africa, a land rich so rich in history and natural beauty inhabited by a culturally diverse population of a myriad of tribes and clans that it seems overwhelming, but truly Raybourn has succeeded in giving her reader the essence of Africa. I felt every tingle of delight, every twitch of fear, could almost smell the animals and hear the wind on the savannah. A Spear of Summer Grass is a truly wonderful contribution to historical fiction and a wonderful gift to Africa herself.

I raise another metaphorical toast to Raybourn for giving me the pleasure of Delilah Drummond’s company. Oh, again this character, just truly spoke to me. I felt a bit of a kindred spirit to Delilah and couldn’t help but laugh when she reminded me of myself, but did she surprise me? Yes, most certainly and I am so very glad she did.

Needless to say I recommend A Spear of Summer Grass without a moment’s hesitation and would add that if you don’t find it at least a tenth as superb as I have described you might want to check your pulse.

In full compliance with FTC Guidelines, I received a free trade paperback edition of this book from the author and France Book Tours in exchange for a fair and honest review. I was in no way compensated for this post, and the thoughts are my own.