mosthappyreader

More of the Most Happy Reader

History has long been my keenest interest and was a childhood fascination. I followed this interest to University where I obtained my BA and MA in History. My thesis was concentrated on British colonialism in Africa, but my first historical love was England, especially those Tudors. My life's greatest passion are my two boys. My most avid hobbies are reading and travel. My favorite reads are historical fiction and my favorite travel destination Western Europe. Because of the high volume of books I read and my passion for discussion I was encouraged by friends to begin a book review blog earlier this year and so The Most Happy Reader was born.

Miss Billings Treads the Boards

Miss Billings Treads the Boards - Carla Kelly Miss Billings Treads the Boards offered enormous promise, but sadly fell short. Henry Tewskbury-Hampton, Fifth Marquis of Grayson, runs into some excitement when he is attacked en route to a party and finds refuge with Bladesworth's Company of Actors.

Katherine Billings, meanwhile, is en route to a new position as a governess, and learns that her new employer is unsavory in the extreme. Katherine disembarks determined not to go through with her new placement when she is also swept up by Bladesworth's Company. Without any other options, she agrees to join them.

Henry is enamored with Katherine and while he connives to stay with the actors as luck would have it some men turn up looking around for the missing Marquis. Henry becomes Hal, a working actor and husband to Katherine, now Kate, as a rouse to continue hiding.

Throughout the novel both Hal and Kate experience emotional growth, but the novel ends with work still needing to be done. Both main characters lacked depth and the plot was far too contrived to be plausible or believable. That being said I found the novel entertaining but not engrossing in the least.